There are so many books from 2014 I haven’t yet read, like A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James, The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters, and All the Light We Can Not See by Anthony Doerr. I look forward to reading those soon – they look amazing. But these are my ten best for 2014:
1. Station Eleven – Emily St. John Mandel
3. All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood – Jennifer Senior
4. Bad Feminist – Roxane Gay
5. Brown Girl Dreaming – Jacqueline Woodson
6. Yes Please – Amy Poehler
7. Stone Mattress – Margaret Atwood
8. The Vacationers – Emma Straub
9. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry – Gabrielle Zevin
10. Little Failure – Gary Shteyngart
The first two on the list are some of my very favorite reading experiences ever. Station Eleven is just luminous – gorgeous writing and a compelling story. It deserves all the hype and praise it’s received. And then some. It will be a book I re-read in the years to come. The Southern Reach Trilogy is just… awesome. Imagine X-Files meets LOST. Mind-bending, thought-provoking, page-turning. It totally opened up a new world of sci-fi-ish reading for me.
Anybody else have some favorites from 2014?